Health and Wellness
The Health Center is the primary medical care center at Georgia Southern University. Physicians and nurse practitioners handle a wide variety of medical conditions and provide routine physical exams.
- Nurse Response Program – an after-hour and weekend nurse call service. This provides continuity of care when the Health Center is closed. The Nurse Response Program is available 24 hours on weekends, staffed by qualified triage registered nurses and nurse practitioners.
- Pharmacy Dispensary Service – This service is provided in the Health Center and dispenses pre-filled prescriptions written by Georgia Southern Health Services providers.
- Allergy Injection and Immunization/Vaccination Services – Health Services will provide allergy injections to enrolled students for no additional charge (covered in the student health fee). Vaccinations are also offered for a discounted rate.
- Women’s Health – Services include annual exams, Pap smears, contraceptive management, emergency contraception, pregnancy testing, sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing, and other gynecological concerns.
With doctoral-level psychologists and masters-level counselors, the Counseling Center is where students can go to participate in programs and receive services designed to help them handle day-to-day challenges and encourage their personal growth and development. They assist with concerns such as academic difficulties, relationship problems, adjustments to college life, and more. Covered by the student services fee, workshops, outreach programs, and individual counseling are available for students in need of help.
Campus Recreation and Intramurals (CRI)
Georgia Southern offers a culture of wellness and the Recreation Activity Center is an excellent location to find ways to enhance one’s wellness. CRI offers personal training, fitness assessments, massage therapy, intramural sports, club sports, an adventure center, aquatics, nutrition services, and much more!
Includes checking out books, laptop computers, or reserve readings; provides computers, multimedia production equipment, reference materials, government documents, research and production assistance, and scanners.
- Government Documents – The Zach S. Henderson Library is a Federal Depository Library and provides local, no-fee access (for the public) to federal government information resources.
- Interlibrary Loan – It’s very easy to find desired resources. Interlibrary Loan finds resource materials located anywhere on campus and allows pick-up at any library.
For help with coursework, professors are always readily available in office hours to assist students. Office hours are held weekly and can usually be scheduled individually when needed.
Academic Success Center
- Short Courses and Workshops – topics include time management, study skills, mathematics, writing, reading, fiscal responsibility, standardized test preparation, and computer skills.
- Auxiliary Instruction – tutoring offered in regularly scheduled, out-of-class study and review sessions for selected courses.
- Testing Office – designed to deliver centralized efficient and professional evaluation, preparation, and testing services such as college entrance exams, graduate school entrance exams, certification exams, and Regents’ Exams.
Students can receive individualized feedback on their writing from experienced writers and professors of writing. In the writing center, students from any course at any stage of the writing process can sign up for half hour or hour long conferences with faculty members from the Department of Writing and Linguistics or graduate students from the Department of Literature and Philosophy and receive advice about how to improve their drafts.
The Center for International Studies helps organize study abroad experiences. The office assists students with program details and scholarships.
Career counselors help guide students along their career path. The professionals at Career Services help students choose or change their major and explore post graduate possibilities like graduate school or the perfect job. They also host job fairs each semester, offer job shadow opportunities, resume and cover letter reviews, and mock interviews.
Student Leadership and Civic Engagement
With a mission to integrate learning, service, and leadership, the Student Leadership and Civic Engagement office offers leadership conferences, workshops, courses, and alternative break trips, provides service opportunities, helps students find internships, and arranges speakers. Students who complete the Southern Leaders Institute requirements will receive a Leadership Seal on their diploma at graduation.
Minority Support and Opportunities
Multicultural Student Center (MSC)
The MSC supports the University’s greater mission to support cultural diversity by providing education and programming. Students can participate in the Minority Advisement Program and receive an upper class student mentor.
- Computer Labs – Georgia Southern has computer labs all over campus, some open 24 hours a day.
- Wireless Internet – Over 25 buildings on campus have wireless capabilities and the number keeps growing!
- Tech Corner – Purchase a computer, or shop for any accessory you could possibly need for your computer or iPod.
- Eagle Computer Care – Looking for a full service computer service and repair shop on campus? Go to the Information Technology building and visit the Eagle Computer Care center! Students can pay a $30 base price, no matter what the repair, and receive help from trained technicians.
- Eagle Transit System – The campus transit stops at many locations on campus and runs from 7am-9pm on weekdays. Buses visit each stop every 5-8 minutes. Students can park for free at Paulson Stadium or the RAC and jump on the transit!
- Zipcar – Zipcar is available for all 18+ year old Georgia Southern students. Zipcar is car-sharing, an alternative to bringing a car to school, that gives members 24/7 access to vehicles parked right on campus. Low hourly and daily rates include gas, insurance, and 180 miles per day to go wherever you want to go. Members can reserve cars online or with a smart phone for as little as an hour or up to four days. Enjoy all the freedom of owning a car without any of the hassle.