2013 SOAR Leader Recruitment
Expectations | SOAR Leader Role | Important Dates | How to Apply
The SOAR (Southern’s Orientation, Advisement, and Registration) Team is a group of students who work together to welcome all of the new students to Georgia Southern University. You will assist in the development, planning, and implementation of the orientation program for more than 5,000 students and their parents!
Think you have what it takes? #BeTheSOARLeader!
Attend an Information Night!
Information Nights will take place in Lewis Hall, located on Sweetheart Circle, and will discuss the role of a SOAR Leader, the application and interview process, and answer questions.
- Sunday, October 21st at 7:00 P.M.
- Monday, October 22nd at 7:00 P.M.
- Tuesday, October 23rd at 7:00 P.M.
Can you SOAR through the summer?
SOAR Leader Expectations:
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, sincere, dedicated, and flexible.
- Possess good communication skills in order to facilitate group discussions.
- Display a willingness to help others and enjoy working with people.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about GSU, its regulations, its people, and its programs.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Grades for all applicants will be checked following the completion of the Fall semester. Selected SOAR leaders will be asked to resign if their GPA is not above a 2.5 after the Fall semester.
- Be enrolled in regular credit classes during the academic year.
- Have completed at least one semester at Georgia Southern by January 2013.
- Enroll as a Georgia Southern undergraduate student in Fall 2013.
- Plan to live in Statesboro during the Summer.
Are you prepared to lead above and beyond?
Role of a SOAR Leader:
- Serve as a ROLE MODEL for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity of an upperclassman.
- Assist in preparing to represent Georgia Southern and SOAR at a regional conference.
- Lead small group sessions for new freshmen and transfer students.
- Assist in the organization and preparation of orientation activities.
- Acquaint new students with campus services, activities, and building locations.
- Participate in the creation and production of all orientation skits and presentations.
- Facilitate group and individual discussions with the parents and family members of new students.
- Assist with the advisement and registration processes for fall semester.
- Display initiative in assisting incoming students with special needs and concerns.
- Serve as an ambassador for Georgia Southern University.
Mark your calendar:
Applications Posted on the Student Employment Center Website: October 8, 2012
Applications Due: November 5, 2012
Faculty/Staff and Group Interviews: November 12-14, 2012
Personal Interviews: November 26-28, 2012
Positions Offered: Thursday, November 29, 2012
SOAR Celebration and 1st Meeting: Friday, November 30, 2012
The following events are mandatory for selected SOAR Leaders:
Camp SOAR: early to mid-January 2013
SOAR Team Meetings: Tuesdays from 5:00-7:00 p.m. throughout Spring 2013 semester
Leadership Class: LEAD 2000 – 0-credit hour class (More information provided at the Information Nights)
- 2 sections to choose from for Spring 2013: LEAD 2000 A (CRN – 16514) & LEAD 2000 B (CRN - 16516)
Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW) at University of Memphis: March 15-17, 2013
SOAR Training: May 15-31, 2013
Every Summer SOAR Session
How to apply for the 2013 SOAR Team:
To apply, visit the Student Employment Center website: http://jobs.georgiasouthern.edu/SEC/.
In order to be considered for an interview, you must submit:
- A completed Georgia Southern University Student Employment Center (SEC) application (Posting # 0607994)
- Resume (uploaded with your SEC application)
- Completed SOAR Essay (uploaded with your SEC application) – questions can be found listed within the Student Employment Center job posting.
- Two recommendation forms (at least one must be completed by a faculty/staff member)
Applications must be submitted by Monday, November 5, 2012
Click here to download your SOAR Recommendation Forms! For tips on how to make sure you get a good recommendation, click here.
Questions? Please contact the Office of Orientation in Lewis Hall at (912) 478-7627 or email@example.com.
Comments from SOAR Alumni
The overall experience of being a SOAR Leader:
- Being a SOAR Leader has provided me with courage and knowledge base to connect with leaders and staff all over campus. It has opened doors for me to glean knowledge from the people who work here based on their experiences.
- It has given me the confidence to communicate and give my ideas! It has taught me to step outside of my comfort zone and still feel comfortable!
- My love for Georgia Southern has grown in an unexplainable way. I appreciate my university more than I ever thought possible!
- Becoming a SOAR Leader is so rewarding. Not only because we get to meet so many great people, but also because we were able to get the inside scoop on so many things related to the University!
- I feel like this was an absolutely wonderful experience that truly made me a better version of myself!
- This experience is definitely the best experience of my college career thus far. It has really taught me the importance of being passionate about whatever you do in life, especially when it comes to career aspirations.
- This has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I will never forget being a SOAR leader. In a sense, it has trained me for life – how to accept people for their differences, how to overcome obstacles in the workplace, and how to have fun being a professional.
- I loved being a SOAR leader. It was a lot of work, but it was really a life-changing experience in which I know I impacted so many students. I am really thankful that I have been allowed the opportunity to do this and work with such great people, as well as meet some wonderful new students!
The pay: $400 Spring stipend and $1800 Summer stipend
- I didn’t care about the pay but more the feeling I got when a student sighed and just said “thank you… that really helped”. It’s the best feeling in the world!
- I hate to say this, but I would do this for free!