Academic Scholarships and the University Honors Program
Southern Scholars Showcase is a scholarship interview weekend for select students who score a minimum of 1300 on the SAT (math + critical reading only) or 29 composite on the ACT and have a strong academic record in high school courses. Those invited to this event will interview for valuable academic scholarships. A select number of finalists will interview for the 1906 Scholarship. The deadline to apply for consideration for Southern Scholars Showcase is November 1, 2015. Additional information regarding the events will be sent to selected students.
Scholars’ Day is a scholarship interview weekend for select students who score a minimum of 1200 on the SAT (math + critical reading) or a 27 composite on the ACT and have a strong academic record in high school courses. Those invited to this event will interview for academic scholarships and the University Honors Program awards. The deadline to apply for consideration for Scholars’ Day is February 1, 2016. Additional information regarding the events will be sent to selected students.
For information about the University Honors Program, click here.
The Leadership Conference is a scholarship interview and leadership education event for students who have earned a minimum 3.0 GPA, a minimum 1100 SAT (math + critical reading only) or 24 ACT composite, have outstanding leadership in high school, and leadership and involvement in the community through volunteer activities. Those invited to this event, held in March, will interview for the Southern Leaders Program and the Southern Lead Scholarship while also attending fun and educational sessions on leadership development. Additional information regarding this event will be sent to selected students. The deadline to apply for consideration for the Leadership Conference is February 1, 2016.
For information about the Office of Leadership & Community Engagement, click here.
The University Honors Program: To be considered for admission into the University Honors Program, as well as for their program scholarships, students must complete the general application in MyScholarships and the specific opportunity labeled University Honors Program within the MyScholarships portal.
Hispanic/Latino Students: Students interested in the Goizueta Scholarships can find information concerning those opportunities by visiting our Scholarships Available/Becas Disponibles website.
Students must be accepted to Georgia Southern University and submit the MyScholarships application prior to these deadlines for consideration.
For a full listing of scholarships available to new Georgia Southern students, click here.
The University Honors Program
To be considered for admission into the University Honors Program, as well as to apply for their program scholarships, transfer students must complete the general application in MyScholarships and the specific opportunity labeled University Honors Program within the MyScholarships portal. The deadlines for transfer students to be considered for the University Honors Program (UHP) are:
- Spring 2016 Entry – December 1, 2015
- Fall 2016 Entry – February 1, 2016 for scholarship consideration or May 1, 2016 for program consideration
Fall 2016 transfer students wishing to be considered for other academic scholarships must submit the MyScholarships application by the priority deadline, February 1, 2016, or our final deadline of May 1, 2016. All students must be admitted to Georgia Southern University prior to their scholarship deadline to be considered.
Phi Theta Kappa Members: One scholarship is awarded each fall semester to an outstanding student who has been involved in Phi Theta Kappa at their current institution. This scholarship is $1,500 renewable for two years. To apply, please submit the MyScholarships application by May 1, 20165 and list Phi Theta Kappa under the School Activities and Clubs section.
Hispanic/Latino Students: Students interested in the Goizueta Scholarships can find information concerning
those opportunities by visiting our Scholarships Available/Becas Disponibles website.
AT&T Scholars Scholarship: AT&T and the Technical College System of Georgia is offering a $5,000 scholarship for students transferring from a TCSG institution to a University System of Georgia institution. Applicants must have earned a TCSG associate degree in aerospace, agribusiness, energy and environment, healthcare and eldercare, life sciences, or logistics and transportation. They must also have a graduating GPA of at least a 3.5, be admitted to a USG institution, and have demonstrated commitment to their technical college or community through extracurricular/community activities. For the application, click here.
To apply for scholarships, you must first submit an Application for Admission. Approximately 48 hours after submitting an online admissions application, you will be able to access the MyScholarships application, through your Admissions Status Check Page.
Steps to Complete the MyScholarships Application
Application Video Tutorial
Helpful Tips for Completing Your Application
- You must apply for admission prior to beginning your MyScholarships application.
- You can access the MyScholarships application through your Admissions Status Check Page on the Scholarships tab. The link will only be live between August 1 and May 2.
- To be considered for scholarships, you must be both accepted to Georgia Southern and have submitted the MyScholarships application by one of the two scholarship application deadlines.
- To be considered for admission into the University Honors Program, students must complete the general application in MyScholarships and the special opportunity labeled University Honors Program within the MyScholarships portal.
- The sooner you begin and submit the MyScholarships application, the better. You never know what unforeseen issues (technological or other) may arise. Do not wait until the night before the deadline.
- Read the entire application and complete all of the essays or questions that apply to you and your interests.
- Write your personal statement and essays in advance of the deadlines to allow for time to proof and revise. We suggest writing and proofing your essays in a Microsoft Word document, and then copying and pasting the essays into the MyScholarships application when you are ready to submit
- Check your major on your Admissions Status Check Page. If the major listed is different than what you’ve listed on your scholarship application, contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save your work as you go through the online MyScholarships application.
- Once your MyScholarships application is received, all of your materials will be reviewed. Invitations to Southern Scholars Showcase, Scholars’ Day, or the Leadership Conference will be mailed approximately three weeks prior to each event. If you are not selected to interview at an event, you may still be eligible to receive other scholarships.
- If invited, RSVP and attend a scholarship event to interview for academic or leadership scholarships. The events will also include opportunities to learn more about Georgia Southern University and interact with faculty, staff, and current students.
- Make sure to check your email on a regular basis. If you have opted out of receiving emails, you may miss out on valuable information concerning scholarships and our scholarship events. If you’re unsure as to whether or not you are receiving emails from Georgia Southern, than contact the Office of Admissions. The email address used to communicate with you will be listed under Personal Information on the Admissions Status Check Page.
- Get to know your Admissions Counselor. They will be your best resource concerning scholarships and can recommend you to the scholarship committees.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
At Georgia Southern University we accept outside scholarship funding as well. Please see your high school guidance counselor concerning scholarship opportunities available in your community.
Some websites we recommend reviewing include:
We also encourage students to check our our Office of Financial Aid website for information concerning student grants and loans. They keep a listing of outside scholarships that may be available to new students. All scholarships can be combined with the HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship. Scholarships received outside of Georgia Southern must be sent to the Office of Financial Aid.
Office of Financial Aid
PO Box 8065 | Statesboro, Georgia 30460-8065
Sweetheart Circle | Rosenwald Building – Second Floor
Phone: (912) 478-5413 | Fax: (912) 478-7418
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (when the University is open)
Request Scholarship Information