A student who is still completing a high school or secondary school education, or has completed high school or secondary school and not taken a college or university course is considered a freshman for purposes of admission to Georgia Southern.
Freshman Checklist & Requirements
Review the Admissions requirements (below)
- APPLY online for Admission or download and print the paper application.
- Pay your $30 application fee online with a Visa or MasterCard
- Have your counselor send us your official high school transcript
To process transcripts, we must recalculate your GPA based on the required high school curriculum, so it may appear lower than you originally anticipated because we do not factor in classes like Art, Drama, Theater, etc.
- Tell us what classes you are taking during your Senior year
We have to have a list of all courses you are taking during your Senior year of high school if you are still enrolled. This is to be sure you are on track to complete the required high school curriculum. You can provide this on your official transcript, on your admission application, or by clicking here to complete a short form.
- Send us an official copy of your SAT/ACT scores (SAT Code: 5253 / ACT code: 0830)
We can only make a decision based on the highest scores that we receive. Please make sure that those scores are up-to-date. If you submit scores and then take the test again, then you may submit the new scores for us to review. We will simply reassess your file and make another decision based on the updated scores.
- Check your status online
This status will reflect whatever we have in our records at that exact moment. You will be aware of our admissions decision as soon as it is made without having to wait for an admissions letter.
To be Considered for Regular Admission
Acceptance is based on the following criteria:
- Minimum 1010 SAT (Math + Critical Reading) Writing portion required or 21 ACT (composite) Writing portion required. State minimum requirements for each portion of the SAT/ACT: 430 Critical Reading, 400 Math; 17 English, 17 Math
- Satisfactory Grade Point Average* on the following Required High School Curriculum:
- Mathematics: Four (4) units of Mathematics, including Algebra I,Algebra II, and Geometry. For students who graduate from a Georgia public school in 2012 or later, the 4 units of Mathematics must include a course at the level of Math 3 or higher.
- English: Four (4) units of English which have as their emphasis grammar and usage, literature (American, English, World), and advanced composition skills.
- Science: Students who graduate in 2012 or later must have four (4) units of science. Three (3) units of science are required for those who graduated in 2011 or earlier. Students need at least one laboratory course from the life sciences and one laboratory course from the physical sciences. Georgia public high school graduates must have at least one (1) unit of biology, one (1) unit of physical science or physics, and one (1) unit of chemistry, earth systems, environmental science, or an advanced placement science course.
- Social Science: Three (3) units of social science, with at least one (1) course focusing on United States studies and one (1) course focusing on world studies.
- Foreign Language: Two (2) units in the same foreign language emphasizing speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Two (2) units of American Sign Language