Homeschooled students are students who are taught in their homes, usually by their parents.
- Minimum 1110 SAT or 24 ACT (composite)
Per Board of Regents’ policy, homeschooled students must take the SAT I or ACT test and score at or above the average SAT I score of the previous year’s fall semester first-time freshman class. The freshman standard this year at Georgia Southern is a combined SAT I score of 1100.
- Completion of the following required high school curriculum (required for regular admission to any Georgia public university):
- Mathematics: Four (4) units of Mathematics, including Algebra I,
Algebra II, and Geometry. For students who graduate from a Georgia
public school in 2012 or later, the 4 units of Mathematics must
include a course at the level of Math 3 or higher.
- English: Four (4) units of English which have as their emphasis
grammar and usage, literature (American, English, World), and
advanced composition skills.
- Science: Students who graduate in 2012 or later must have four (4)
units of science. Three (3) units of science are required for those who
graduated in 2011 or earlier. Students need at least one laboratory
course from the life sciences and one laboratory course from the
physical sciences. Georgia public high school graduates must have
at least one (1) unit of biology, one (1) unit of physical science or
physics, and one (1) unit of chemistry, earth systems, environmental
science, or an advanced placement science course.
- Social Science: Three (3) units of social science, with at least one (1)
course focusing on United States studies and one (1) course focusing on
- Foreign Language: Two (2) units in the same foreign language
emphasizing speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Two (2) units
of American Sign Language may be used to satisfy this requirement.
Home study programs accredited or approved by the following agencies are acceptable.
|The Accrediting Commission for Independent Study, Inc.
||PO Box 909, Roswell, GA 30263
|Association of Christian Schools International
||PO Box 1537, Snellville, GA 30075
|GA Accrediting Commission Inc
|GA Association of Christian Schools
||Athens, GA 30605
|Southern Association of College and Schools
||Decatur, GA 30033
|The GA Private School Accrediting Commission
Applicants home-schooled in a non-accredited program or from non-accredited high schools who wish to apply as freshman must submit the following items to be considered for admission to the university:
- Copy of Declaration of Intent to Home School as filed with local Board of Education.
- High School Summation Exam taken during the twelfth grade year (Iowa TAP, SAT II, California Achievement Test, Stanford Achievement Test). The GED will not substitute for this standardized test.
- Letter from primary teacher certifying completion of high school and date of high school graduation.
If a transcript is not available to you, please complete this form: Home School Credit Evaluation Form
Georgia Southern awards credit for acceptable Advanced Placement (AP) Exam scores and International Baccalaureate (IB) Exam scores. When you take either exam, request that a copy of your score report be sent to Georgia Southern University. Awarded credit can be viewed on WINGS by selecting Academic Transcript.
For more information contact:
Nadia Vining, Admissions Specialist