Southern’s Orientation, Advisement and Registration
SOAR Goes Virtual
Due to the recent events involving COVID-19, the University has put our community’s health and well-being at the forefront of each decision. Because of that, all SOAR sessions for new summer and fall students are being moved to a fully virtual format. For information on Georgia Southern’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit our information page.
Virtual SOAR registration is required to be connected with an academic advisor for course registration.
New information will be posted regularly to this page as plans are finalized. Check back regularly.
How to Register
To register for your Virtual SOAR, log into your Admission Status Check Page, click on the “Orientation” tab at the top of the page, and follow the link to our reservation website. You will then select your SOAR session – you should only see one – and pay the associated $25 fee.
What to Expect
- Virtual SOAR will begin at GeorgiaSouthern.edu/VirtualSOAR. This site will be ready for summer entry students on May 1st and fall entry students on June 1st. It will serve as a guide for you to prepare for enrollment. It also will direct you to complete SOAR 1000, your first “class” at Georgia Southern. Additional information will be sent via email once Virtual SOAR and SOAR 1000 are ready for you.
- We are still working out all of the details, but rest assured – we are committed to ensuring you will be ready to begin classes and join a truly unique community of fellow Eagles. You can expect a mix of online resources, live webinars, online interactions with SOAR Leaders, and face-to-face programming in August.
- As an incoming student, it is important to get connected with campus resources and get involved. Closer to the fall semester, our team will reach out to tell you more about Move-In Weekend and Weeks of Welcome, early fall semester events geared specifically to welcoming new students. You’ll also be able to attend a fun social event to pick up your official SOAR t-shirt and meet your SOAR Leaders.
Tips & Reminders
- When you register, your session will have a date and time attached to it, but you can ignore that. All live sessions have multiple options to fit your schedule later in the summer, and many will be pre-recorded to watch at your own pace.
- The $25 SOAR fee covers costs associated with online programming and staffing along with Move-In Weekend and Weeks of Welcome events and your SOAR t-shirt.
- If you previously registered for a face-to-face SOAR session and paid a higher fee, our staff will refund the difference to the credit card of the original payment. Please give us a few weeks to work through that process.
- Family members and supporters – Don’t worry! We will have virtual content for you as well.
All summer semester courses will be held fully online. Your academic advisor will help summer students build a schedule, but no coursework will be face-to-face between now and the end of July. If you are currently admitted to start in May/June and would like to start in August instead, complete a brief form to update your entry term here.