2020 SOAR Leader Recruitment – Armstrong Campus
Expectations | SOAR Leader Role | Important Dates | How to Apply
The SOAR (Southern’s Orientation, Advisement, and Registration) Team is a group of students who work together to welcome all of the new students to Georgia Southern University at the Armstrong Campus. They assist in the development, planning, and implementation of the orientation program for more than 1,000 students and their family members!
Think you have what it takes? Be a SOAR Leader!
Attend an Information Session!
Information Sessions will take place in Ogeechee Theater (Student Union), and will discuss the role of a SOAR Leader, the application and interview process, and answer any questions you may have!
- Sunday, October 13th at 5:00 P.M.
- Tuesday, October 15th at 12:00 P.M.
Can you SOAR through the summer?
SOAR Leader Expectations:
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, sincere, dedicated, and flexible.
- Possess good communication skills in order to facilitate group discussions.
- Display a willingness to help others and enjoy working with people.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Georgia Southern University, its regulations, its people, and its programs.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Grades for all applicants will be checked following the completion of the Fall semester. Selected SOAR leaders will be forced to resign if their GPA is not above a 2.5 after the Fall semester.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student during the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Have completed at least one semester at Georgia Southern by January 2019.
- Plan to live around the Savannah, GA area during the Summer of 2020.
- Plan to enroll in at least one summer class (online only) for the Summer of 2020.
Are you prepared to lead above and beyond?
Role of a SOAR Leader:
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity of an upperclassman.
- Lead small group sessions for incoming freshmen.
- Assist in the organization and preparation of orientation activities.
- Acclimate new students with campus services, activities, and building locations.
- Participate in the creation and production of all orientation skits and presentations.
- Facilitate group and individual discussions with new students, their parents, and guests.
- Assist with the advisement and registration processes for the Summer and Fall 2020 semesters.
- Display initiative in assisting incoming students with special needs and concerns.
- Represent Georgia Southern University in a positive manner.
Mark your calendar:
Applications available online: Thursday, October 4, 2019
Deadline to Apply: Sunday, November 3, 2019 by 11:59p.m.
Group Interviews: November 12-13, 2019
Individual Interviews: November 19-20, 2019
Positions Offered: Thursday, November 21, 2019
SOAR Celebration and 1st Meeting: Thursday, December 5, 2019
The following events are mandatory for selected SOAR Leaders:
Camp SOAR: January 17-19, 2020
SOAR Team Meetings: (Tentatively) Mondays from 5:00-7:00 p.m. throughout Spring 2020 semester
Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW) at Western Kentucky University: March 12-15, 2020
SOAR Training: May 11-29, 2020
Every Summer SOAR Session: June 1 – July 27, August 13-15
Compensation: Scholarship is calculated based on the 2018 SOAR schedule and subject to change
How to apply for the 2020 SOAR Team:
Apply through the online form found here.
In order to be considered for an interview, you must submit:
Applications must be submitted by Sunday, November 4, 2019
Questions? Please contact the Office of New Student & Family Programs in Victor Hall at (912) 478-7627 or please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Last updated: 10/14/2019