2019 International SOAR Leader Recruitment
Expectations | SOAR Leader Role | Important Dates | How to Apply
The SOAR (Southern’s Orientation, Advisement, and Registration) Team is a group of students who work together to welcome all of the new students to Georgia Southern University. They assist in the development, planning, and implementation of the orientation program for more than 100 International Students and their family members!
Think you have what it takes? Be a SOAR Leader!
SOAR Leader Expectations:
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, sincere, dedicated, and flexible.
- Possess good communication skills in order to facilitate group discussions.
- Display a willingness to help others and enjoy working with people.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Georgia Southern University, its regulations, its people, and its programs.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Grades for all applicants will be checked following the completion of the Spring semester. Selected SOAR leaders will be forced to resign if their GPA is not above a 2.5 after the Spring semester.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student during the 2018-2019 academic year and Fall 2019.
- Have completed at least one semester at Georgia Southern by January 2019.
Are you prepared to lead above and beyond?
Role of a SOAR Leader:
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity of an upperclassman.
- Lead small group sessions for incoming freshmen.
- Assist in the organization and preparation of orientation activities.
- Acclimate new students with campus services, activities, and building locations.
- Participate in the creation and production of all orientation skits and presentations.
- Facilitate group and individual discussions with new students, their parents, and guests.
- Assist with the advisement and registration processes for the Fall 2019 semester.
- Display initiative in assisting incoming students with special needs and concerns.
- Represent Georgia Southern University in a positive manner.
Mark your calendar:
Applications available online: Wednesday, February 13th
Deadline to Apply: Friday, March 1, 2019
Individual Interviews: March 6-8
Positions Offered: Monday, March 11th
SOAR Celebration and 1st Meeting: Friday, March 15, 2019
The following events are mandatory for selected SOAR Leaders:
SOAR Celebration: Friday, March 15, 2019
SOAR Team Meetings: To be determined
SOAR Training: August 7-9, 2019
International SOAR Session: August 14-16, 2019
Compensation: $430.00 scholarship *this is calculated based on the 2018 SOAR schedule and subject to change
How to apply for the 2019 SOAR Team:
Apply through the online form found here.
In order to be considered for an interview, you must submit:
- A fully complete application.
- Attend a 30 minute, in-person interview March 6-8
Applications must be submitted by Friday, March 1, 2019
Questions? Please contact the Office of Admissions in Lewis Hall or feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 2/12/2019