2020 International SOAR Leader Recruitment
The SOAR (Southern’s Orientation, Advisement, and Registration) Team is a group of students who work together to welcome all of the new students to Georgia Southern University. They assist in the development, planning, and implementation of the orientation program for more than 100 International Students and their family members!
Be an International SOAR Leader!
Deadline to apply: Monday, March 23, 2020
Selected candidates must be available August 4 – 14 for training and hosting International SOAR. If you have any questions regarding the position, or our hiring timeline, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
SOAR Leader Expectations:
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, sincere, dedicated, and flexible.
- Possess good communication skills in order to facilitate group discussions.
- Display a willingness to help others and enjoy working with people.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Georgia Southern University, its regulations, its people, and its programs.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Grades for all applicants will be checked following the completion of the Spring semester. Selected SOAR leaders will be forced to resign if their GPA is not above a 2.5 after the Spring semester.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student during the 2019-2020 academic year and Fall 2020.
- Have completed at least one semester at Georgia Southern by January 2020.
Role of a SOAR Leader:
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity of an upperclassman.
- Lead small group sessions for incoming freshman students.
- Assist in the organization and preparation of orientation activities.
- Acclimate new students with campus services, activities, and building locations.
- Participate in the creation and production of all orientation skits and presentations.
- Facilitate group and individual discussions with new students, their parents, and guests.
- Assist with the advisement and registration processes for the Fall 2019 semester.
- Display initiative in assisting incoming students with special needs and concerns.
- Represent Georgia Southern University in a positive manner.
Last updated: 3/3/2020