2019 SOAR Leader Recruitment – Statesboro Campus
Expectations | SOAR Leader Role | Important Dates | How to Apply
The SOAR (Southern’s Orientation, Advisement, and Registration) Team is a group of students who work together to welcome all of the new students to Georgia Southern University. They assist in the development, planning, and implementation of the orientation program for more than 5,000 students and their family members!
Think you have what it takes? Be a SOAR Leader!
Attend an Information Session!
Information Sessions will take place in Lewis Hall, located on Sweetheart Circle, and will discuss the role of a SOAR Leader, the application and interview process, and answer any questions you may have!
- Sunday, October 28th at 7:00 P.M.
- Monday, October 29th at 7:00 P.M.
Can you SOAR through the summer?
SOAR Leader Expectations:
- Be reliable, responsible, confident, sincere, dedicated, and flexible.
- Possess good communication skills in order to facilitate group discussions.
- Display a willingness to help others and enjoy working with people.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about Georgia Southern University, its regulations, its people, and its programs.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Grades for all applicants will be checked following the completion of the Fall semester. Selected SOAR leaders will be forced to resign if their GPA is not above a 2.5 after the Fall semester.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Have completed at least one semester at Georgia Southern by January 2019.
- Plan to live in Statesboro, GA during the Summer of 2019.
- Plan to enroll in at least one summer class (online only) for the Summer of 2019.
Are you prepared to lead above and beyond?
Role of a SOAR Leader:
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity of an upperclassman.
- Lead small group sessions for incoming freshmen.
- Assist in the organization and preparation of orientation activities.
- Acclimate new students with campus services, activities, and building locations.
- Participate in the creation and production of all orientation skits and presentations.
- Facilitate group and individual discussions with new students, their parents, and guests.
- Assist with the advisement and registration processes for the Summer and Fall 2019 semesters.
- Display initiative in assisting incoming students with special needs and concerns.
- Represent Georgia Southern University in a positive manner.
Mark your calendar:
Applications available online: Thursday, October 4, 2018
Deadline to Apply: Sunday, November 4, 2018 by 11:59p.m.
Group Interviews: November 12-13, 2018
Faculty/Staff Interviews: November 13-14, 2018
Individual Interviews: November 26-28, 2018
Positions Offered: Thursday, November 29, 2018
SOAR Celebration and 1st Meeting: Friday, November 30, 2018
The following events are mandatory for selected SOAR Leaders:
Camp SOAR: January 18-20, 2019
SOAR Team Meetings: (Tentatively) Tuesdays & Thursdays from 5:00-7:00 p.m. throughout Spring 2019 semester
Leadership Class: LEAD 2000 (CRN# 14936) – 0-credit hour class (More information provided at the Information Sessions)
Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW) at Coastal Carolina University: March 15-17, 2019
SOAR Training: May 13-30, 2019
Every Summer SOAR Session: June 3 – July 23, August 8-10
Compensation: $2,650 scholarship *this is calculated based on the 2018 SOAR schedule and subject to change
How to apply for the 2019 SOAR Team:
Apply through the online form found here.
In order to be considered for an interview, you must submit:
- A fully complete application.
- Resume submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org . Subject of this email should be: First/Last Name: Campus
- Two recommendation forms (at least one must be completed by a faculty/staff member)
Applications must be submitted by Sunday, November 4, 2018
Click here to access your SOAR Recommendation Forms! For tips on how to make sure you get a good recommendation, click here.
Questions? Please contact the Office of New Student & Family Programs in Lewis Hall at (912) 478-7627 or please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Comments from SOAR Alumni about being a SOAR Leader:
- “The beautiful thing about SOAR is that it’s a family business. It’s like doing something really important with 20+ siblings.” – DiArron Morrison, SOAR 2015, Graduate, General Studies
- “Being a SOAR Leader is so much more than a job. It’s an experience. The challenges grow you, the team becomes family, and you will make a difference in a young student’s life. It’s an experience that’s bigger than yourself and you will truly know what it means to serve others.” – Ellen Hogan, SOAR 2013, Senior, Logistics & Intermodal Transportation
- “SOAR was the best experience that I had at Georgia Southern! I realized the importance of SOAR as a way to really take my leadership development to the next level, to grow as a person, to introduce students to the school I loved, and to be a part of a family!” – Stephen Warner, SOAR 2011, Coordinator of Out of State Recruitment
- “Now, three years removed, SOAR was an experience that I will always cherish and never forget. When I’m asked about my SOAR experience, I always compare the composition of my team to a model of the real world. Each of us came from a different background and our differences bonded us together through the adversity we faced, as a team, throughout the year. SOAR challenged me in every aspect of my life, but it developed me into a better friend, a better leader, and a better EAGLE!” – Errol Spence, SOAR 2013, Graduate Student, Public Administration
Last updated: 12/4/2018