Verification of Lawful Presence
In accordance with Board of Regents policy, all applicants who are accepted for admission or re-admission to Georgia Southern University are required to provide validation of lawful presence in the United States in order to receive in-state tuition or other state benefits.
Failure to confirm legal presence by the first day of classes will result in an out-of-state residency classification and out-of-state fees will be assessed.
Most students complete this process by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you don’t complete a FAFSA, you can do one of the following:
- Complete this form, make clear and legible photocopies of at least one of the applicable materials (note that some require you provide a certified original) and submit to the office where you submitted your application.
- Log into your Status Check Page and navigate to the Upload Materials area. Choose “Lawful Presence Documentation” from the dropdown menu and then select a file to upload.
Who Should be Verified?
All students receiving in-state tuition or benefits must prove their lawful presence in the U.S. This includes:
- Georgia Residents
- Students receiving any out-of-state tuition waiver including the Presidential Waiver for academics and athletics.
Acceptable Documents for Domestic Students
- Current ID or Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. (Other states with acceptable driver’s licenses: Alabama, Alaska, California, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Wisconsin.)
– Limited term or temporary licenses are not acceptable.
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing that the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory – You may obtain a certified copy through the Health Department in the county in which the student was born.
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
- Current U.S. Passport
- Current Military ID (service member only, not dependent) – A photocopy is not acceptable. The original card can be presented in person at the office where you submitted your application.
- Current, valid Permanent Resident Card
International Students will be validated for lawful presence by International Student Admissions & Programs. No action is needed by the student.
Last updated: 1/5/2024