Skip to main content

Verification of Lawful Presence

In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4, all applicants who are accepted for admission or re-admission to Georgia Southern University are required to provide validation of lawful presence in the United States in order to receive in-state tuition or other state benefits.

Failure to confirm legal presence by the first day of classes will result in an out-of-state residency classification and out-of-state fees will be assessed.

Most students complete this process by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you don’t complete a FAFSA, you can do one of the following:

  • Complete this form, make clear and legible photocopies of at least one of the applicable materials (note that some require you provide a certified original), and send documents to the Office of Admissions via mail (PO Box 8024, Statesboro, GA 30460) or email (
  • Bring this form with clear and legible photocopies of at least one of the applicable materials with you to SOAR (orientation). You may also bring original documents to be photographed by our staff on site.
  • Log into your Status Check Page and visit the “Lawful Presence” tab. This will walk you through the steps for a secure, online submission.

We will reach out to students prior to SOAR (orientation) who have not yet verified their lawful presence.

Who Should be Verified?

All students receiving in-state tuition or benefits must prove their lawful presence in the U.S. This includes:

  • Georgia Residents
  • Students receiving any out-of-state tuition waiver including the Presidential Waiver for academics and athletics.

Acceptable Documents for Domestic Students
  • Current ID or Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008 – A limited term license is not acceptable.    
  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing that the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory – A photocopy is not acceptable. You may obtain a certified copy through the Health Department in the county in which the student was born. Birth Certificates may only be presented in person at SOAR.
  • U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
  • Current U.S. Passport
  • Current Military ID (service member only, not dependent) – A photocopy is not acceptable. The original card can be presented in person at SOAR.
  • Current, valid Permanent Resident Card

International Students

International Students will be validated for lawful presence by International Student Admissions & Programs. No action is needed by the student.

Last updated: 5/14/2020